Attorney-General Robert McClelland today announced Maitland City Council and Great Lakes Shire Council Shires in NSW are now eligible for disaster assistance from the Australian Government following last week’s flooding.
Mr McClelland said a total of 20 Local Government Areas in the Upper Hunter and Mid-North Coast regions are now receiving assistance through the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
“The clean up in these areas from last week’s floods continue across the region.
“I’d encourage individuals, businesses and primary producers who think they may be eligible for assistance to apply through the NSW Government.
“Assistance is also available for the repair of essential public infrastructure once financial thresholds are met. The Commonwealth will continue to work with the NSW Government to provide assistance to areas affected by these floods.”
NDRRA assistance is available in Maitland City Council, and Great Lakes Shire Council Shires Coffs Harbour, Gloucester Shire, Cessnock, Muswellbrook, Glenn Innes-Severn, Greater Taree Shire, Port Stephens, Nambucca Shire, Dungog Shire, Port Macquarie-Hastings, Bellingen, Clarence Valley, Kempsey, Upper Hunter, Singleton, Walcha, Armidale Dumaresq and Guyra Shire Councils
Joint Commonwealth/State disaster assistance available includes:
- Personal hardship and distress grants to eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household items have been damaged or destroyed. Enquiries should be directed to NSW Community Services, Disaster Welfare Services on 1800 018 444;
- Concessional interest rate loans of up to $130,000 for eligible small businesses and primary producers. Enquiries should be directed to the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593;
- Concessional interest rate loans of up to $25,000 for voluntary, non-profit organisations. Enquiries should be directed to NSW Treasury on (02) 9228 5198;
- Transport freight subsidies of up to 50 percent to assist primary producers for the carriage of livestock and fodder. Enquiries should be directed to the Industry and Investment – NSW office on 1800 814 647; and
- Restoration or replacement of essential public assets and certain counter disaster operations.
Media Contact: Ryan Liddell – 02 6277 7300